When attempting to design for functionally diverse populations, there are many different approaches you can take. You can, one, assert your ego above all else, ignoring your target consumer demographic and unleashing slightly more colorful versions of the same old stuff that already exists: two, meet directly with the consumer demographic, performing thorough ethnographic research to gain insights into areas of opportunity: or three, you can put on the Koken Aged Simulator Set! (or AGNES, the MIT version). The set, "intended to demonstrate the inconveniences felt by the aged due to musculoskeletal, visual and auditory aging", allows you develop a new level of empathy as you literally disable yourself.
The suit limits range of motion at the knees, back, elbows & digits, while applying weight to the wrists and ankles to simulate weakness. Gloves mute sensation in the hands, goggles occlude vision, and ear plugs block high frequency sounds.
This was undoubtedly inspired by the work of Pattie Moore (pictured below in disguise) during the late 1970's and early 80's in which she imposed similar restrictions on her then twenty something old body. By totally immersing herself in the population she was focusing on, she truly came to understand the physical, psychological and social implications.

In undergrad, I recall an assignment where I was required to rely on a manual wheelchair as my only means of mobility for 4 days. After 45 minutes, I started to get the picture. Nothing on campus was remotely convenient, with stairs in every direction (the entire campus is on a giant hill), poor access routes, limited or often barely functional elevators, library books on shelves too high to reach, cafe counters too high to view the food options, and so on. Plus, the muscles in my shoulders and upper back were on fire after getting to two classes on opposite ends of campus.
The understanding gained from this type of experiential research is imperative if you really want your design interventions to impact how people live.
I'm beginning to increase my focus on the consumer experiences of those outside the "average" spectrum. From what I've learned through documented research, while the internet has made goods and services more accessible, the market remains predominantly exclusive. Through directly engaging the consumer demographic of interest, I'd like to begin testing some of my ideas on the public in the upcoming months.
No comments:
Post a Comment